Passed the OCPJP upgrade (1Z0-813) today

Thanks to the intensity of the Whizlabs questions for 1Z0-813, I passed today with 96%. I can hardly believe it but it was weeks of work and I’m glad I’ve learnt a massive amount of new features in Java 8. My previous cert was Java 1.4 in 2004 so this was well overdue!

Hi John,
Congrats on Passing OCJP upgrade. Mine is the same case, I cleared SCJP 1.4 back in 2007 and want to upgrade to Java 8. What is the procedure, can we directly apply for that ? Also what all things did you referred to clear the exam ?

Regards,
~ Sachin. K.

I first made sure that my previous certifications were showing up on certview - https://certview.oracle.com/

I found that I had two identities that I had to merge - one from Sun Microsystems and another from signing up with Oracle. The help desk sorted that out - that was about a year ago.

I then read the OCA/OCP books by Boyarsky & Selikoff, available on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/OCA-OCP-Java-Programmer-Certification/dp/1119272092

The OCA was mostly revision with a starter on lambdas. The OCP book gave a good foundation for the exam - leaving out chapters 8 (java.io streams) and 10(JDBC).

One thing missing from the books is PathMatcher but this is easy to cover on your own. Don’t forget it as there were about 2 questions on my exam that included it.

I then drew about a dozen mindmaps based on the chapters to categorise what was in the OCP book. The mindmap for NIO.2 was the most complex (and this was the section I kept failing). The next hardest was streams but it’s very mathematical and I enjoyed it.

Finally, I bought the pack of tests from Whizlabs and that added a number of nuances that were not in the books or the final exam but which helped expand my horizon and confidence. About 10 questions out of 60 in each practice exam covered things that were not in the book.

Congrats john.
I am planning to give a try as well.

How difficult is it compared to SCJP

Thanks

Hi Venkat, it’s been many years so I can’t remember what the SCJP was like. My feeling is that they’re either equally difficult, or the OCPJP is harder.

HI John,

This is very informative and comprehensive answer for anyone who are planning to prepare for the upgrade exam.

Finally, I bought the pack of tests from Whizlabs and that added a number of nuances that were not in the books or the final exam but which helped expand my horizon and confidence. About 10 questions out of 60 in each practice exam covered things that were not in the book.

We are very glad to know that our exam prep. simulator has helped you.

Cheers!

Hi Krishnan and John,

I have enrolled in the same test series of Whizlabs for 1z0-813. I have completed first attempts of 4 tests but have failed most of the time except in the diagnostic test. My overall score is 55-60 % in all practice tests. Hence, I am loosing confidence after every test. I have good experience of Java8 feature and I use them in my day to day work also. I feel the book which I referred for preparation is not for this upgrade exam. I referred the same book by Boyarsky. Please help.